Vice-Chairman, Global Leadership Foundation
The Rt. Hon. Joe Clark has served Canada as Prime Minister, Foreign Minister, Constitutional Affairs Minister and Opposition leader during his 25 years in the Canadian Parliament. He currently serves as the Vice-Chairman of the Global Leadership Foundation supporting global governance and political leadership. During his extensive career he has served in strategic, advisory and supportive roles to a host of global, national and international organizations. He remains active globally in a range of public and private capacities and is a frequent speaker on global issues, including corporate social responsibility.
Prime Minister, Canada 1979-80
Secretary of State for External Affairs (Foreign Minister) 1984-1991
Joe Clark was elected Prime Minister of Canada in the general election of 1979 and served later seven years as Secretary of State for External Affairs (Foreign Minister). Joe Clark was also Minister of Constitutional Affairs and Acting Minister of both National Defence and Justice.
He served twice as Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, and as National Leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada. The Right Honourable Joe Clark was elected eight times to the House of Commons of Canada, retiring in June 2004.
Activity after public politics
Mr. Clark served as Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations for Cyprus from 1993-96. He belongs to a number of public policy organisations and international NGOs and has led or co-led Election Observation teams in Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria, Lebanon and Pakistan.
He has been a visiting scholar at the University of California, Berkeley and American University in Washington, DC, a Public Policy Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars and is author of two books on Canada – “Canada: A Nation Too Good To Lose” and “How We Lead: Canada in a Century of Change”.
Mr. Clark is a Companion of the Order of Canada, a member of the Alberta Order of Excellence, and l’Ordre de la Pleiades, and has been awarded several honorary degrees. He was the first recipient of the Vimy Award (which is presented to the Canadian citizen who has made an outstanding contribution to the security of Canada and the preservation of its democratic values).
Mr. Clark is President of Joe Clark and Associates, an international consulting firm based in Canada.
Memberships and Associations
- Vice-Chairman, Global Leadership Foundation
- Chair of Supervisory Board of Meridiam Infrasructure, Africa
- Vice-chairman of Stratus Royalty Corporation
- Board Member of Triton Logging Incorporated
- Board Member of GlobeScan Incorporated
- Supervisory Board Member of Meridiam Infrastructure S.a.r.l.
- Board Member of the Stern Stewart Institute
- Member of the Friends of the Inter-American Democratic Charter
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Institute for the Study of International Development, McGill University, Montreal
- Member of the Advisory Board of Save the Children Canada
- Member of the Panel of Senior Advisors to the Auditor General of Canada